Mar 20, 2019
In this episode, Karen and Cadie have Ms. Gia Wiggins of Morale Resources in the Deep Fried Studios. Gia talks about the difference between HR and payroll, the top do's and dont's, finding staff for small businesses, keeping them, and when you have to let them go. The ladies talk about the philosophy behind Human Resources and staff engagement.
Gia Wiggins's three biggest HR lessons:
1. Always treat someone with respect, whether you are hiring them or letting them go.
2. Whenever you have to let someone go, document their performance and have a talk with them.
3. You don't always need an HR department, but just make sure that you can deal with your employee's issues.
1. What is the difference between payroll and HR?
2. What does HR do?
3. How do address staffing and the hiring process?
4. What's one of the biggest mistakes people make when hiring someone?
5. What do you do during the termination process?
Morale Resource LLC - Website
Cheers To Business - Facebook
Domke Market - Facebook Page
Learn more about Karen Simmons & Cadie Gaut
Payroll Vault - Mobile &
Quotables and Tweetables
> "Treat people the way you'd want them to treat your memaw at work" - Gia Wiggins
> "Engagement is the art of getting people to care" - Gia Wiggins
> "Appreciation turns into expectations" - Karen
> "When you give someone an increase, it has to be a smart increase" - Gia Wiggins
> “Documenting the performance issues and not being afraid to document and having those conversations with that person and you're not making decisions because of things that could be considered discrimination, you're fine” – Gia Wiggins
> “It’s always finding what makes that person care” – Gia Wiggins
> “You will never be able to pay somebody what they think they're worth.” – Gia Wiggins
About Cheers To Business
You can contact and stay connected with us by LIKING our Cheers To Business Facebook page. Thanks for listening and as always, CHEERS to you!
Cheers To Business is a seriously casual business and entrepreneur podcast that discusses starting, running, refining and growing your company, or excelling at your current job with two or your soon-to-be friends - over a glass of wine. Please subscribe, review and rate Cheers To Business on iTunes, YouTube, SoundCloud & Overcast.